What is a food allergy?
Food allergies are serious and potentially life-threatening medical conditions that affect many people around the world. They usually occurs when the immune system sees a particular food as harmful and reacts badly, causing rashes, swelling, wheezing and such. Foods that cause allergy to the immune system of the body are referred to as the allergens.
What are the most common food allergies in children?
Having an allergy to the milk of a cow is very common in infants. As per the reports, it is very likely for almost every child to develop this allergy in the first year of their birth. The most common symptoms of this type of allergy range from mild to high and severe.
What food items should be avoided that contain milk?
- Butter oil
- Cottage cheese
What are the possible substitutes for milk products?
- Caramel candies
- Hot dogs and sausages
- Tuna fish
Having an egg allergy is the second most common allergy in the world, but most of the children outgrow this allergy. It is very important to avoid all the egg-based products to prevent reaction against the allergy in the body. It is usually seen that the whites that are present in an egg cause reactions in the body. Also, the eggs from ducks and quails are more likely to cause a reaction in the body.
Which products should be avoided to prevent reaction against egg allergy?
- Ice cream
What are the substitutes that can be used in baking in place of an egg?
- Baking powder and vinegar
- Yeast dissolved in warm water
- Water, oil and baking powder
- Gelatine and warm water
Peanuts are often mistaken as the tree nuts that grow on the trees. They are the nuts that grow beneath the ground and a part of the legumes. If you have a peanut allergy, then it is not necessary that you are likely to suffer from an allergy to any other member of the legume family. The reactions against the allergy are quite unpredictable.
The skin of the body is more likely to suffer from the reactions against the allergy. It is very important to keep away from the products that contain peanut in low or high amount. It is highly recommendable to read the food labels before you consume them.
Which food items should be avoided?
- Arachis oil
- Artificial nuts
- Beer nuts
- Peanut oil
- Mixed nuts
- Monkey nuts
- Peanut butter
- Peanut flour
- Egg rolls
- Enchilada sauce
- Pet food
- Special pizzas
- Sunflower seeds
Having an allergy towards fish is one serious issue as it is one of those allergies that does not outgrow with age and it is more likely for people to witness it during the adulthood. The reactions of the fish allergy can be life-threatening and very much unpredictable.
It is very important for people having a fish allergy to stay away from the food items that comprise of fish as one of the ingredients and also to read the labels of packed food items before consuming them. Foods that contain fish allergens are:
- Mahi Mahi
- Fish gelatine
- Fish oil
- Fish sticks
- Barbecue sauce
- Caesar salad
What to do during an allergic reaction
- If in case your child is suffering from an allergy and the doctor have prescribed you the epinephrine injection for the same, it is your major duty to carry it everywhere you go. You also must either teach the child or the school staff on how to give the injection to the child in case of emergencies.
- You have to be fast enough in catching the reactions of the child such as difficulty in breathing or any other such reactions. Always remember the points that your doctor has told you and also teach your child the basic care tips in case of an allergy emergency.
- It is very important to store the epinephrine injection in the best way possible. Keep a note of the expiry date of the same and always get a new one if the previous one shows an expiry date.
- It is better to ask for a demonstration before you have to give the epinephrine injection to the child. It is highly recommendable for the parents to learn about how to use the syringe, how to hold the injection and various other things that hold an important place. Also, some of the manufacturers provide a trainer syringe with which you can practice all the steps with utmost safety.
Children are very small to detect an allergy in them, and so it is very important for the parents to observe the simple yet complex reactions that they have to certain food items and drinks. If a food allergy is detected in the child, the parents must make sure not to give that food item or other food items that might comprise the allergen as one of the ingredients. It is always beneficial to consult a doctor in case of any food allergy to avoid further emergencies regarding the same.