How To Edit Privacy Settings On Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and WhatsApp
Though the joy and benefits of social media can most certainly not be ignored but there are certain privacy risks that need to taken into consideration as well. Whether you’re a private individual or a socialite; an over-sharing adult or a secretive teen; you should be aware of your privacy options and their utilizations to meet your needs accordingly.
Following are user-friendly instructions to help keep your privacy in order on the most excessively used social media platforms:
Facebook is rather known for creating constant changes in its privacy settings owing to which you need to keep yourself updated with the options available in order to prevent third parties from using your information and more.
- You can find your “Privacy Settings” by clicking on the downward facing arrow on the extreme top right arrow of your screen.
- A drop down menu should appear. Click on the “Settings” option.
- The next step requires you to click on “Privacy” from the options in the toolbar on the left.
- Make sure to thoroughly go through all the options available. Most settings will be set to “Public” or “Everyone” by default.
- The most important settings can also be reviewed through the “Privacy” option in the top navigation bar. The option appears as a lock icon.
If you’re looking to max up on your security then consider the following as well:
- Tag Review: Find the option of “Timeline and Tagging” in the settings menu. This allows you to limit individuals with permission to post on your timeline along with the ability to “review” any tag before it appears on your timeline.
- Activity Log: You can limit search using Facebook’s option of Graph Search and other engines by using your Activity log. The activity log can be accessed by clicking on the main drop-down arrow on the extreme top right of the screen.
The activity log allows you to clear your search history in order to avoid invasion of your privacy by advertisements or any other individual. Find the “Search” option in the list on the left.
This social media platform is rather simple when it comes to managing your privacy. In order to access or edit your privacy settings, the mobile app for Instagram has to be installed and used on your smartphone.
The app allows you to keep your photographs private in two ways:
- You have the option of making your account private. You are required to click on the gear icon on the extreme top right of the profile page. This will allow you access to the account settings.
- Scroll down to find the option for “Private Account”. This will allow your pictures and videos to be viewed by followers you personally approve.
- Turn the location map off. This option is provided to you prior to uploading of any photograph or video.
- All that you are required to do is simply deselect the option of “Add to Photo Map”. This will prevent Instagram from providing information regarding any location that you might want to keep private.
This app is a new favorite among the younger generation. In order to edit your privacy settings in Snapchat, consider the following:
- When you first open the app, you will enter the photo-taking mode. Slide the screen down and you will reach your profile page. Click on the gear icon on the top right corner for Settings.
- Scroll down to the section called “Who Can…” – This is where you can limit the people who can contact you (send you snaps or call you) and view your story.
- The default settings for both options will be “Everyone”.
- You can change them to “My Friends” or customize them according to your needs by limiting those you want to avoid from within your friend’s list.
Like Instagram, you need to install the application on your smartphone in order to gain access to the privacy settings and more. WhatsApp allows you to control privacy settings of display picture, last seen, status and receipt view. These are set to “any user” as default.
In order to change these, consider the following:
- From the bottom navigation bar, select the option for “Settings”
- Select the “Account” option and then click on “Privacy”.
- A drop-down menu will appear that will allow you to change settings from “Everyone” to “My Contacts” or “Nobody”.
- Android smartphones have the option of enabling and disabling the option of “Read Receipts”. This option allows you the notification of when your message has been viewed by the recipient.
Keep in mind that Privacy settings tend to evolve with time regardless of the application at hand. In order to keep your privacy settings updated, you should look out for any notifications from the system application and go through the changes made.