How to Track an iPhone
One of the biggest nightmare for all iPhone users around the world would be the loss of their phone. It might be left behind somewhere, but it might also be stolen out of your pocket or bag unnoticed. You might be scared that your personal information in your phone might be misused. What can you do to track an iPhone?
If buying another phone is out of the question for you, here are a few ways you can track your iPhone down.
Track an iPhone
- Access your iCloud account, on a computer, iPad or by other means, by entering your username and password. You will be directed to your dashboard.
- From the dashboard, click “Find iPhone”.
- Choose “All Devices” from the menu, and select the name of your iPhone. An interactive map will be displayed to you, which shows the exact location of your device.
- You can also activate the following features –
- Play Sound – The iPhone will sound an alarm for two minutes at the highest volume for early detection.
- Lost Mode – Your phone will be put down on “Lock mode”, with a custom message on the screen.
- Erase Data – If you fear that your personal data on the iPhone will be misused, you can delete all data.
Find My iPhone
- Tap “Apple ID” on your Settings, which will show your name and image, if you have an account.
- If you haven’t signed in yet, you can Sign In to device and enter your Apple ID and password.
- Scroll down and select “Find my iPhone” from the list.
- Slide the “Find my iPhone option” so that
- it turns on your phone location using another device.
- Now, turn on the “Send Last Location” so that the iPhone shares its location just before it powers off.
- Now open the “Find My iPhone” app on your friend’s device, and sign in using your Apple ID and password.
- Choose your iPhone name from a list, and look up the location. Thus, the phone will show its location, but not its present address.
- If you tap the “Actions” option, you can activate the:
- “Play Sound” option, which will play a sound for detection
- “Lost Mode” will show your phone’s location, and any changes. If your phone is online, this option will lock it and cannot be reset without a password. If your phone is offline, it will lock up and you’ll receive an email regarding its current location.
- “Erase iPhone” to erase your data, however you would be unable to search for your iPhone any longer. In any case, regularly backup your information to iCloud or iTunes to restore your erased data.
Find My Friends App
- You can use the “Find My Friends” app to track down your phone, but you need to have downloaded and installed the app on both your friend’s iPhone and your own beforehand.
- Go to ‘Setting’ and sign in to your Apple ID.
- Next, tap “iCloud” and turn on “Share My Location”.
- By tapping “From” again and choosing your device, you now share your device location with your friend.
- Now, open the “Find My Friends” app on your iPhone
- Tap “Add” and enter the name of your friend
- Tap “Send”. You can share your phone’s location with your friend for one hour, for the day or indefinitely as you choose.
- Accept the request sent from your friend’s phone, and ask your friend to “Accept” your request and to share their location if they want to.
- Now, you can track your phone’s location using your friend’s phone.
Extra Security Tips
- Change your Apple ID username and password immediately to prevent unauthorised access to your iCloud.
- Change all the passwords of your logged-in social media accounts for the same reason.
- Next, report the theft to the law enforcement, and give them the serial number to track your iPhone.
- Finally, report your iPhone to your carrier terminate the account to prevent unauthorized people making calls, sending texts or using the internet.
These simple but effective tips can be helpful in the case of an iPhone emergency. You can now track down your iPhone without an app and track through a friend’s phone. Regularly update your iPhone’s security so that even in the case of a loss, you can retrieve your information safely.